Monday, January 11, 2016

Talk Less, Smile More

 “Talk less, smile more. Don’t let them know what you’re against or what you’re for.”-Hamilton (the musical)

This past week has been one of the best weeks I’ve had at TLoTH. (Sidebar, my mom said “Tee-loth” and I wanted to give her a shoutout for saying the most adorable out-loud of an acronym ever.) Two things made it good:

  • I stopped giving a fuck that no one expects me to do anything interesting. I’ve worked a lot harder to embrace the mind-numbing nothingness that is inventory and similar work.
  • I trusted people who are becoming friends to take care of me.


My goal for the rest of my job is to get the experience of publishing a paper. I will try to prove something with my writing. But if I don’t prove anything, that’s OK. Scientific work that lives in a filing cabinet is useless. If I don’t have a great readership, that’s OK too. I’m fairly sure everything I write will be public so that’ll be cool!

Another thing that really helped was that two co-workers and I spent lunch last Tuesday going ice-skating. I often feel at work that I am inadequate because I do not participate in a sport (or at least one that anyone knows the rules to) or run or hike or climb or do anything active. It turns out, normal people talk about sports. A lot. It has certainly been to my advantage to pretend I care about sportsball at times. But on Tuesday, it was different. I was the only one who was good at ice-skating. I was the only one who was fast. I am never the fast one. I am always the pack-mule who’ll get there eventually and can carry boatloads of stuff but I’m never fast. But after practicing skating for months, I was actually able to be fast on ice. It felt FANTASTIC!

It also felt really nice to just be normal people with my co-workers. I didn’t feel like I was in any kind of weird social situation I couldn’t read. I was just with a couple of friendly people having pleasant conversation and we were all trying not to fall on our butts. Since then, I’ve felt less of a barrier between those two people and myself. I wish I could do something fun like that with the people who I have trouble understanding. Or even eat a meal with those people. Something where I have the opportunity to relax and be myself without being the scary, brass and crass asshole I can be when I get anxious.

The rest of the workweek was literally unremarkable. Doing inventory sucks, no matter where you do it. At least when I did inventory at TLoTH it was with other people. I remember doing a similar thing at BAU and I had to do it all alone. Just me and Sabrina the Teenage Witch for hours on end. Actually, it wasn’t so bad. But damn, some of the chemicals you find doing inventory in any lab are kinda terrifying.

Friday was my day off and I was very glad for that. I don’t always know if I like being on a 9/80 schedule but it pays off when you need to recoup from a week after being away for 2.5 weeks.

I went adventuring with a person I will call Elder Me because she and I are so similar. She is a geologist by training who did PeaceCorps (I did AmeriCorps), worked as a teacher, loves travel and avoids traditional living. We met in a theatre production that I was a <makeup artist> and she was a cast member who could do her own old-age makeup! I really appreciate talking with her because she’s made such different life choices than me, despite our eerie similarities. We went snowshoe adventuring. It was a very odd and unusually tiring experience. She wore snowshoes and I followed in her footsteps, literally. I had these weird things on my shoes called YakTraks that allowed me to keep grip on snow and ice. That was weird because everything about my experience hiking so far tells me that I need to constantly brace myself for slips and falls. Walking in someone else’s footprints also reduces user responsibility to step carefully.

We found some wonky old shit like a giant empty concrete cylinder with one end closed. I sang “Is there anybody OUT there” into the cynlinder thingy and she laughed. I need to make sure to maintain a friend-base that will always get when I quote Pink Floyd. We also found a spooky church that had broken shingles that looked beautiful in the snow. I should probably mention it was snowing hella hard the whole time. Then we explored down into a canyon and at the bottom we slid to on our bottoms to near the creek. Not in it, thankfully! However, it was very snowy (I don’t have snow pants) so the following conversation ensued.

Me: “Ok. In the most non-sexual way possible, I am going to take off my pants AS SOON as I get into your house.”
Elder Me: “Sounds good. In the most non-sexual way possible, I am going to swat your butt because it’s covered in snow.”

Good times.

Learned that the proper food after such an excursion is peppermint hot chocolate and fudge. Good to know for future.

Now I have to tell you the best part of my week! Yes, I have one of those this week.




I had a perfect day.




It was great! Saturday was perfect. Good things happened consistently on a pretty high level for the entire day. That is a difficult thing to achieve and I really want to thank and acknowledge it.

It was planned on Friday night that a group of us wanted to go skiing. The Tenor and The Outdoorsy Sage (TOS) are experienced folks at skiing and snowboarding and both wanted to hit the mountain. Myself and Triple Point Dude (TPD) were like…ehhhhhh? TOS told me that she would teach me how to ski. And the cost for the whole event would be less than $100. I felt like it was a very “when in Rome” moment and took a leap of go-for-it-why-the-hell-not. Later in the same bar, I ran into a dude who I’d met a few times and it turned out he also had to pick someone up at the airport on Saturday at the same time as me. We decided to go together so neither of us was lonely on that drive.

Saturday morning I got up unusually early, like 7 am. By the time TPD the Tenor picked me up I was like a happy puppy. I was going to learn how to ski! I found my field rain pants so I would be warmer than the previous day when I wore jeans in the snow. Note: I still intend on making field gear/rain gear for women with real asses. I had no mobility because my ass is so fabulous that it took up the whole pants and my legs had to fight for room. Turns out this is a problem when skiing. Another note: fleece lined leggings are THE BEST.

Lift tickets and gear rental actually totaled less than $50, which was a great start to the day. The boots were tricky but I got them to work eventually. They make you feel really weird, like you’re pitching forward and ready to fall. The rental people gave me tiny skis. I used poles, though I don’t think they were entirely necessary. TOS met us once we geared up and she taught TPD and how to do pizza and French fries. We practiced on a baby little slope next to the lift and then went on the lift. Ok, WHO THE FUCK INVENTED SKI LIFTS? They are terrifying. I’m not usually too bad with heights but being held on with one point of contact and people below you with sticks in your hands…it was not cool, man. Most of the times I went on the lift I spent the entire time squeezing the beam of the frame and pretending the spooky clouds were friendly cloud monsters. I have to hand it to TOS, though. She did an amazingly excellent job describing exactly what was going to happen when we got to the end of the lift. She was calm and encouraging and we talked about how anything outdoorsy can become disastrous when approached with a machismo attitude. If you set specific and realistic expectations of what’s going to happen, it is a lot easier to be ok with whatever does happen. What excellent, wise advice.
It helped that she also had whiskey. That helped a lot with the fear.

Turns out I’m pretty good at skiing. I didn’t really expect this. I thought skiing was for skinny rich kids. Turns out you just need a strong ass and decently strong legs. Those I got. The muscle groups used were very similar to muscles I use in derby so thankfully I have built some muscle in those areas. I went down the hill I think 6 times and I only fell twice. Like I said, the whiskey helped. I like going fast but I hate being out of control. Once I learned how to turn, I could do both speed and control(ish). Seemed pretty straightforward after that. It’s really fun to hang out with friends on a snowy mountain.

TPD fell pretty hard and that ended our day. I found out it’s called a “yard sale” when all your gear goes flying everywhere and you have to pick it up. He hurt his ankle and I felt sad for him. But I was going pretty fast down the hill and I don’t have control so I just kinda awkwardly passed and waited at the bottom of the hill. He and I went home and The Tenor and TOS kept going to do more challenging stuff.

Showering after going skiing is one of the best sensations in the entire world. It’s not quite on par with snuggling after sex, but it’s not as far away as you’d think. As I got dressed (I got dressed somethin’ fierce for no reason other than I was clean) I listened to the soundtrack of Hamilton. And now suddenly I can’t wait for the Tonys!! If you haven’t heard of this musical yet, it is “the story of America then, told by America now.” It is about the founding fathers of the United States portrayed by a mostly Black cast and almost all of the music is hip-hop inspired. I was really surprised that I identified so much with the main character. The refrain spoken to him throughout the play by Aaron Burr is “Talk less, smile more. Don’t let them know what you’re against or what you’re for.” Miranda realistically (from what I can tell) develops an antagonistic relationship between the two men so it makes theatrical sense that Burr beats Hamilton in a duel, ending in the latter’s death. But Hamilton continues to not give three fucks about what he’s told and maintains a rogue-ish attitude the whole time while doing what he believes is right for the situation. It felt really good to see some aspects of what I struggle with in my professional life portrayed so accurately in a play. There is definitely going to be some point in the next few years that I will be very poor for a while after seeing this musical and never complain about it because it will be worth it. ^____^

Then I went on a driving adventure down towards the airport. I’m going to call this new friend the B-Boy Dancer We had a sincerely thought provoking discussion about why would hiring managers ever care about diversity. That encouraged me see the issue in a different light. If you look at it from an investment perspective, there is no motivation to go beyond quotas or make risky investments in employees. I don’t agree with that attitude, but I can kinda see where they’d be coming from.

We investigated the store where this state hides all of their Asian food. I was more than a little bit in heaven. I bought pho, ramen and soba noodles. SOUP FOR DAYS!!!! I got so much and it cost so little. Next time I pick someone up from the airport, I will sincerely make an attempt to go there again.

We picked up friends from airport and then had some equally deep convo on the way home. I realized through this conversation that my definition of success is as follows:

“Travel. Meet new people. Make deep connections. Eat wonderful food.”
I have not had the opportunity to do many of these while at TLoTH. I have travelled a lot but it has mostly been in escape of the place, not because I was necessarily exploring the area. I need to keep this definition (or redefine as appropriate) in mind while making my next couple of life steps. I appreciate quieter people who allow me think through my thoughts before speaking because I don’t feel rushed. That is a quality I need to work on, but I love talking too much.

To wrap up, I want to say a quick note on David Bowie.



I found out David Bowie died this morning and I guess it didn’t really hit me. I talked about it with co-workers and they acknowledged him as a singer or maybe they brought up Labyrinth but they weren’t attached to him so his death wasn’t devastating. Only when I got home and saw the amount and type of outpouring on my Facebook feed did it hit me. A lot of my co-workers are straight. Bowie does not have the gravitas as a cultural icon to the mainstream as he does to the LGBT community. It was such an unexpected and grief filled moment to realize that David Bowie is one of the few celebrities who has been openly bisexual. There is no real cultural way to be flamboyantly bisexual. Bowie embodied the grapple between two sets of expectations in many ways from costume and hair down to his two very different eyes. His “oddity” has been a beacon to the queer community for decades, saying: “It’s ok to be different. It’s ok to be so different it feels like you’re from space.”

Being a bisexual woman in a long term heterosexual relationship makes my relationship to my sexual orientation a topic that just doesn’t come up. And it shouldn’t. But I want to be a role model to people and maybe I’m not trend-setting in Lycra but I want people to be comfortable being themselves so that they can continue making awesome stuff and saving this planet from our own destruction.

Here is my new anthem:





And a tribute to Bowie that’s been floating around the internet today:


No comments:

Post a Comment