Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Truth and Lies of Reality


Lies Reality Told Me

*Ramen is cheap. I found out recently that if you look at the price of Ramen, it is actually nearly $10/lb. 3 packages, 1 oz each are $1, but there are 16 oz in a pound.The most fanciest beans at the market on bulk are never more than $4/lb, most normal beans are $2/lb. (I don't know if I've mentioned it but I always go into the bulk section with a 1 cup dry measuring cup so I always get exactly 1/4 lb of beans.) You'd be hard pressed to find rice more than $2/lb. In fact, you should almost ALWAYS be able to find meat for less than $10/lb and meat is the grand prize. This actually pissed me off when I figured this out because usually the first thing people refer to about poor college students is that they live on nothing but Ramen. This means that as a society, we're completely skewed on what things are actually worth and what "food" can be. Ramen is so completely lacking of almost any nutritional value combined with using MSG for flavoring (I use Better Than Bullion if I do make it) it's like...negative food. Then I just felt really really bad that 1.) college kids think that's the only way to eat cheaply and 2.) how unable to learn they must be because they're not getting proper nutrition because they think they can't afford it.

*You have to go to college to get a good job. I was talking with a receptionist lately and she was saying that from a marketing standpoint, colleges are pure genius. They have convinced a whole society that you need a degree which will put you at a minimum of $20,000 debt in order to get a "good" (something where you might eventually be able to pay back your debt) job. I feel like this has hit very close to home for me. I had to take a break this past weekend because the pace of the past year has just caught up to me and I could not keep running. Whenever I get ten minutes to think in a row, it makes me seriously question my ever-lasting toil at a degree which may or may not be futile. I've been accused, by a professor, of running towards money by turning my back on Theatre and going to the Sciences. Please respond on this point as I still haven't made up my mind how I feel about this comment.


Truths Reality Told Me

*You will never get an ounce of work done once you start playing Minecraft.* Why do you think this blog was 3 days late? (It was also Rosh Hashana this weekend.)

*Sleep/rest and drink is the best way to battle sick Last week I fought two colds from both The Little Bear and PartnerPenguin. By the end of the week I gave up trying to be productive and just drank tons of tea and did as little as possible, save math homework (which for some reason is fun to me). I didn't even judge myself for falling asleep reading my Physics textbook. Sometimes, you need to give yourself a break. I feel a lot better now.

*Obama on radio So it turns out our President promotes himself on the radio. But not like, advertisements. Nope, just talked with the talkshow host and they continued to play snippets of it on the local R&B station which plays in the sketch-as-all-get-out-24-hour laundromat where I go. I thought it was even better that the DJ's who played back clip urged their listeners to vote. I didn't have a local R&B station last election. It's good to be in this area sometimes. <3

_________________________________________________________
Recipe this week not inspired by "A Man A Can A Plan" but might as well have been.


Chicky with Beer Can Up Its Butt
1 whole chicken (We found one at Trader Joes for $6)
1 mediocre beer in can. We used Simpler Times from Trader Joes.
A bunch of butter and a bunch of paprika (not necessary, just added because

PartnerPenguin is, at times, hopelessly Hungarian)

*Drink half the beer. Preheat oven to 350
*Take out gross bits from inside of chicky. Perhaps make Dirty Rice with it later.
*Bring butter to room temperuature, wash your hands. Take butter in 1/2 tbsp is amounts and slather over the skin of chicky. Sprikle on paprika. Go in other room if you are me and this grosses you out.
*Place half-full beer can in a glass pan deep enough to hold the chicky when she eventually falls over drunk. Place chicky on can so it fits in the cavity.
*Bake chicken in oven for maybe an hour. Thigh should pretty much fall off. You can cover it with tin foil if you want it to cook faster, I think. We just let it sit and it cooked and was one of the best things ever.

Also, I may be allergic to carrots. Worth more investigating.
Video on this one not worth watching, but song=^__^


6 comments:

  1. Allergic to carrots? oh no! Do you eat any of the carrot-tops? Those can be real gnarly for sensitive people. Cool chicken idea. I worry a bit about the paint on the beer can giving off fumes/ baking into chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's what you tell the professor, "Fuck. You. Tenure whore." I'm sorry, you do what you need to do. If he thinks scientists are rolling in clover then he's living in even more of a fantasy land than the drama department can provide. You don't owe him or anyone else any kind of apology. Fuck him and his prescriptive behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @C-Salty: I thought I was before, I don't like carrots anyway. Someone else said the same thing but I think for Simpler Times it's actually printed on the Aluminum. Or I didn't care that much? lol. Maybe I'll die soon.

    @Ish: I did basically tell him that. I dropped the class and it's been the only class in 4 years I didn't pass. I'll tell you more horrors from that class but basically he said that comment at the tail end of my putting up with his shit so I just left.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't able to embed here the video, College Conspiracy (1:02:47). Well worth the time to watch. (You may have to search for it, since the original was taken down (after 3+ million views) due to supposed copyright violations.)

    There's absolutely nothing wrong with running towards money. Money lets you follow dreams far more easily than not having money.

    Plus, you seem to enjoy your major; see your own comment about math homework. "Do what you love and love what you do" is an excellent recipe for career satisfaction and maximizing income. And that's where I'm feeling conflicted here with this comment. Your current path seems to be highly promising as far as job/income potential, and possibly even having fun, but I suspect that a degree is likely "required" to get there. But I honestly don't know. It may make the most sense to simply talk with a half dozen or so potential employers, and get some honest answers from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not giving up yet and you're right, Geology is a field which requires a degree but it was just my being fed up with everything and pondering it.

      Delete