Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Make Tartlets, Not Muggings


Partner Penguin and I were at Cotsco the other day, in the Oatmeal isle (as you do) and this woman picked up some steel cut oatmeal and talked out whether it was worth buying or not. When we suggested making Oatmeal cookies she replied "Why would I make them, I can just BUY them!" Something about this statement just irked me that 1) she had enough money to willy nilly buy really crappy store cookies and 2) it made me sad that she couldn't afford the time to make delicious Oatmeal cookies. I understand that baking is not everyone's favorite thing to do but there is just something comforting to have some warm fresh cookies and maybe a glass of milk. (I have watched Stranger Than Fiction a few too many times.) So we cook. This is what we do for fun.

Partner Penguin has been experimenting with muffin tins, Trader Joes brand pie crust and various fruits. The yummy result being adorable strawberry-banana tartlets. At bedtime, I put three away for a family I bearsit (the bear happens to be a 1 1/2 yr old human child) for on Mondays since they'd let us borrow their internet for the day. Then last night, I had a dream that I was mugged on my walk to work. So this morning when a homeless man asked me for change, fearing my dream may come true, I offered him a tartlet. He greatly accepted. Anything helps, it doesn't matter who you are.

Humans are social creatures. We love to forget this in the wonderfulness of text messaging and smart phones. I think the thing I've learned the quickest and the strongest is that when you can't afford luxuries like internet and 4G wireless, you have to re-learn how to be a people. I have found my solution to this is food. Food is cheaper when shared. It also tastes better. Also, if your good at making it, you can become quite popular, creating a positive feedback loop. Food is also simple and instant gratification. 

I think community is something I haven't fully appreciated until this past year. When I lived down South in Expensiveland, I had relatives and friendly acquaintences but almost all of whom were completely absent to help me in times of serious need. Or worse, they offered help and then made me pay them back with 20% of my income, immediately after recieving the aforementioned help. 
I moved to Northernland last year and re-found communities that help fill holes in my soul; which I hadn't realized had gotten so deep. I have been so touched and felt so grateful in the past couple weeks for the friends who have offered everything from a hug (IRL or virtual, sometimes text can do good) to a graphing calculator when I really needed them. Singing with my shul's choir has kept me from going absolutely bat-shit on top of the huge honor that they are bestowing on me by letting me sing with them on High Holy Days. 

November may be far off, but I am so thankful right now to all the people in my life keeping me sane. Maybe I'll have more practical insight next week.

Food tip of the week: Anastasi beans (anyone know a different name for them, I know Anastasi is derogatory towards Hopi) are very meaty and delicious. Works well alongside Pinto. Paired with kale or something else dark and green, pretty flippin' sweet.



Also, WTF who leaves a random black pill at a library study booth?!

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to know you eat sweet fruity things and not just rice and beans. Say hi to Partner Penguin for me ;D


    -BanAnna

    ReplyDelete