Monday, September 28, 2015

You can take the girl out of BAU, but you can’t take the BAU out of the girl


Hey Y’all, sorry about the skipped week. On the bright side, I got to see about half of you that read this blog so it wasn’t really too bad!

Work:
Let’s start with the good stuff. A lot of my life lately has been work, directly and indirectly. (You will see that the “good stuff” is actually a double edged sword which created the “bad stuff”.)

Two weeks ago, an email was sent out to a list serv I subscribe to with the subject “FYI” and a flyer for a summit about innovation around women’s issues in entrepreneurialism. Cool, but wait…it was in the Key Route City!!! The day before Yom Kippur!!! “HELL TO THE FUCK YES!” I said to no one in particular. I very quickly responded to the original sender at TLoTH and asked simply if she would be attending the event and if I could join her. She responded within a half hour that no, she would not be attending but some other person had set aside some funding for my travel and I could go anyway with a manager from HR.

I was so happy I cried tears of joy. I was going to be able to spend Kol Nidre with my shul. I bought my ticket for Sunday, knowing I’d be in the city with the airport the night prior seeing Book of Mormon (it was delightfully irreverent, thank you for asking. The production was amazing and the dream scene was the best dream scene I’ve ever seen! [This includes Tevya’s dream in Fiddler] I got a t-shirt that says “Hasa Diga Ebowi” and I got PartnerPenguin boxers that say “I have maggots in my scrotum.” Listen to the soundtrack, then judge me harsher and hate yourself a little for laughing so much.). 

When I landed, PartnerPenguin took me out to a bar that was so hipster it just needed monocle. He told me that their burgers were fulfilling at a spiritual level. I was skeptical, but HOLY DAMN! That burger fulfilled me on a spiritual level. I forgot that food could be that good. There were even dark leafy greens on the side with light mustard vinaigrette, not iceberg lettuce with ranch.

Once in the Key Route City, I did the only natural Sara thing to do: I threw a party. It was a bajiggady degrees out, and a bajiggady-five in our tiny little studio. About ten of our friends braved the heat (and didn’t strip!) and hung out in our pad. It was great fun.

I slept peacefully through the whole night for the first time in a month. I slept so much while I was in the Key Route City, I think I missed some serious relationship discussions because I couldn’t get over being held and just conking out.

Monday I spent with my former colleagues at Big American University (BAU). I had many lovely conversations with folks about my life and theirs. One of my mentors made me feel so validated when she heard about my work strives and responded with:

“That the thing I absolutely love about the students at this university. You are change makers. If you see something that needs changing, you do it. You don’t wait for a solution to come to you.”

I really needed to hear that. I needed to see people. To be around those who care, and especially those who accept me for who I am without demanding I change. I crave radical acceptance because it is so sparse on TLoTH. Special shout out to those whom I felt comfortable enough to cry in front of, I haven’t felt safe enough to do that in a while.

Tuesday I went to the conference. The best aspect of that event was hearing other people speak words I only barely dare think. A new role-model stated:

“We have been throwing the solution de-jour at institutions for thirty years to improve the situation of women, in general and in STEM. It’s not working. It is high time that managers are accountable and responsible, directly and measurably, for diversity progress in their companies.”

I asked a very direct and tenacious question to the keynote speaker. I was very proud of myself for asking and I am working on crafting a follow up email since she was not able to satisfactorily answer my question.

Religion
I spent the evening and last dinner before Yom Kippur with my Saba. We had some heavy-duty discussions about the differences between 70’s feminism and 90’s feminism. He was deeply proud of my TEDx talk and his confidence in me makes me feel like I can affect real change.

PartnerPenguin and in I then deftly maneuvered public transportation to make it to Kol Nidre with exactly 2 minutes to spare. Though I didn’t get to talk to many people, I got to feel their presence: so very sincere. I would like to share with you an excerpt from the prayer book, it’s not too God-y, so just bear with me.

Tshuva
I’m not ready to return.
The calendar says now;
I say—April, maybe June.
I have so much to do.
The weekly email says now;
I’m so not ready, so preoccupied, too distracted
But
the congregation has assembled
in this room.
And the weight
of our collective presence
 has gravity enough
 to bend time’s hand towards
me
and say “Now.”
And bent, on bended knees
I reply, “Yes. I am ready.”

Everyone sang from their souls, the musicians played from their hearts and the clergy spoke words of laughter, sorrow and truth. Even the request for donations at the end made me cry. It was a perfect, lovely service. One thing that was unique to this type of service was that talking was discouraged at the end. I went around hugging people who were so surprised and happy to see me. In some ways, it felt appropriate that I hugged them in silence and wished them quietly that they have a healthy and happy new year.

Yom Kippur day was spent with PartnerPenguin and I doing us stuff. I had to leave around 1 pm. I had a horrible trip back to TLoTH but that’s not worth writing about.

*  *  *  *
Now, the “bad stuff” from Work.

I don’t really need to go into details, but basically I have been the butt of at least one rumor mill and several accusations of insubordination in the past couple weeks. Being very confused what I did wrong, I have been trying to figure it out. Momma Bear was the person who put it all together for me: I have been treating myself like an adult, an equal, in several work situations. I have been contacting people who are higher up than me, I have been arranging meetings with scientists, I have been an active participant in discussions about what my daily activities should be. I do not always make my whereabouts easily known. (Though I blame the last bit on my former boss and PartnerPenguin because they taught me how to disappear.)

This breaks many unspoken rules of corporate culture.

I feel so very caught. On one side, I am being expected to be responsible for my actions. On the other, I am being punished for being an adult and holding people to reasonable standards, especially in the field of communication. I am too American, I am too direct, I am too brash and instigating.

I have been trying to improve, based on what people critiqued from last week. But today at work I was given several contradictory instructions by authority figures and I just gave up and curled into a ball and cried. My co-worker overheard the conversation (she very astutely did not join) and agreed that I was being asked to do things directly in contrast to other people’s requests.
Corporate culture is so very weird. And saddening and frustrating.

Active Hobbies
Haha. Jk. I didn’t do anything physical this week. I walked a bunch. I sweat a lot because it’s warm out. So there.

Creative Hobbies
The play I did makeup for closed this weekend. I got this beautiful flower as a souvenir.

I was proud of my final make-ups. By the end of the show I had done every cast member except one, who did her own. I made some pretty cool friends and I’m going to give someone a simple lesson in Hebrew. The stage manager talked me (I was already toying with the idea) of submitting a play to direct for the March show. We’ll see. It’s a good experiment. I’ve never directed and it would be a very difficult play. Wheeeeeeeeeee! Challenge accepted.

Living situations
My friend, The Mexican, has come to stay with me for a little while. He got a job at TLoTH for a year too so I said he could stay with me until he finds a place. So far, so good. Except that he bought two jars of cookie-butter so I might have to invest in larger pants. It feels good to have someone from Big American University here. I feel able to be myself.


Tonight’s musical guest will be Mr. Ray Charles in the best movie in the world: The Blues Brothers. C’mon, it’s time to Shake a Tail Feather!! (Link if the video doesn't work)




No comments:

Post a Comment