Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Punk'in Pie Time


On a stupidly long train ride to the Land of the Nearly Dead (PanterPenguin's Grandma) and realizing I haven't written a blog post in effectively two weeks. I have decided to re-organize my blog in terms of posting so after this one, I will have one blog-y post (Tuesday) and one recipe post (Thursday), so if one interests you over another (*cough*) you don't have to read both.

I don't know what to write and PartnerPenguin is making me write anyway. He is good like that. I was told that my posts are too rambly and don't get to the point effectively or efficiently enough so now I'm really self-conscious of writing at all.

The problem is that I do too much so my brain doesn't much care to work in a fashion which would make sense to do one task at a time since it's usually doing 5. I feel this comes across. Also, according to the Romanean, I topic-hop like Frogger so it's hard to follow me in normal conversation sometimes.

Anyway, probably the biggest thing that I've tried to change in the past two weeks has been my study habits. I know it's stupid late in the semester to be doing this, being that there are only two weeks left, but I actually failed my last exam in my Physics class (I got a 60%) so something has gone wrong. PartnerPenguin brought up recently an article he'd read about this guy who took the classes for a Bachelor's in Computer Science, at MIT, in less than a year by cleverly timed repetition of material. He would listen to the audio book of his textbook at 10x normal speed before the lecture, then read it again after lecture while doing the problem set.
So I've been trying it. I skimmed the entire contents of the 4th section of the course and as we've hit each topic in lecture, I've been re-reading the book. I think that, combined with finally being interested in the topics at hand might work. I really don't want to fail Physics as it would complicate an already delicate situation in my actually completing my degree.

Speaking of topic-hopping....One of the cool advantages of working for a black woman is that I get to learn about all different sorts of things white people (or perhaps just myself?) don't know about. Like Cocoa Butter. WHY HAS NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT COCOA BUTTER?! I have very stupid skin (eczema, called “Enk-ma” by PartnerPenguin) which sometimes gets so bad it cracks and bleeds. Scented lotions (most of them) make my hand feel like it's on fire, made of static electricity. The only thing that's ever consistently worked has been Petroleum Jelly but that's super nasty and you can't lay on the bed because you make huge, gross grease stains.
And here there was something all along that doesn't smell bad, that isn't greasy and that doesn't make me want to chop my hand off.

What?


Seriously.

So I ventured to “Wig Store” down the way which boasts that they sell real human hair. As Mama Bear says, “It looks hoodlife from the front but once you go inside, it's great.” It was like a dream come true. The Cocoa Butter was only $5 and there was cheap but adorable nail polish which I now am sporting for cutting bitches on Black Friday. Maybe I spent too much time in there. Maybe. They have hair accouterments out the wazoo which is great since I'm temporarily growing out my hair. They do have a lot of wigs. I thought it was funny that the only white mannequins in the store were wearing the absurdly stupid wigs in pink and green.

Needless to say, this store will be visited more.

Ok, so I may not have explained but I've recently re-discovered (again, why didn't anyone tell me?) that I'm allergic to eggs. These things I forget, eat cheap pumpkin pie for breakfast, then pass out. W00t..

So PartnerPenguin decided to invent me a delicious recipe of eggless pumpkin pie. It is NOT VEGAN, I'll just let you know. Also, pro-tip, read the directions carefully when baking the pie crust, it's no good if it's raw. Life lessons we learn too late.

Egg-less Pumpkin Pie
1 16 oz. can Libby's Pumpkin purree (the kind that goes on sale around this time of year. You can also cook your own pumpkin, which I detail in this post.)
500 grams (wtf? I didn't make it up) (about 2/3 of a 16 oz container) Marscapone cheese. Warning: the only kind available is expensive. I'd pay one way or another. :<
(In a calibrated shot glass, it should all fit, cinnamon taking up most of the room) 3 parts cinnamon, 1 part nutmeg, I part salt, 1 ½ parts ginger.
½ c brown sugar
1/8 c molasses
1 pie crust. We bought one but I've heard it's not too hard to make one. Make sure, if you're avoiding eggs to read the ingrediants.

In a bowl: empty pumpkin can. Slowly (about 3 oz at a time) fold in the cheese. Marscapone is rather more savory than most cheeses I've eaten. It is also much thicker. Make sure it's mixed well and there are no chunks.
About half-way through the cheese folding, dump in the spices. Make sure they get evenly distributed, no one likes an accidental cinnamon challenge. Finish folding in the cheese.
Fold in the sweeteners. The key seemed to be not allowing anything to clump.

Chill the pie contents in fridge for a couple hours. Towards the end of this time, follow instructions on box for cooking pie and get the oven pre-heated for that. Cook as instructed. When pie crust is done, put in the filling. I'm not really sure what to do about the temperature awkwardness. Maybe throw it back in the oven for about 10 minutes to warm the filling.
But it's deleeeecious!!

 __________________________________________________________________________________
 Guess what movie I wanna see this weekend?!

No comments:

Post a Comment