Friday, December 23, 2016

PseudoWinter Tidings

Cassian Andor: I'm not used to people sticking around when things go bad.
Jyn Erso: Welcome home.
-Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Rogue One was an excellent movie. I loved it. I loved it so much. I loved that there was no explicit romance in it. I loved that a woman was the commander of an impossible mission and everyone respected her exactly for the leader she was. I loved the martial arts. I loved the scenery: like seriously, A+ rocks. But the above quote was one of the things I loved most about it. In 13 words it encapsulates something I have been struggling with for 11 years.  

Recently I was out to dinner with a friend who asked if I go home for the holidays. I responded by looking at her with an absolutely blank expression. I completely forgot that was a thing that someone would choose to do. Friends of mine are starting to interact with the mortality of their parents, the loss (usually to due to downsizing) of family homes, the general dissolution of stability that happens as people age and become more of a burden than a provider. I am grateful when I can be supportive as they process these things, yet some of my friends’ fresh wounds reflect such old and healed-over wounds of mine that it perplexes me. The Rogue One quote condenses an explanation of the “presence” or “absence” of having a home in the past decade. I can strive towards being present for my friends and family who need me to be their home as it happens, that’s all I can do.

 Aaaaaaaaanywayyyyyy…

After last week’s insanitypants conference I took SUPER easy for quite a few days.

An exciting thing that happened was that Dr. Genderqueer met my Fourth-Cousin-Twice-Removed!! It just so happens that coffee shops in this part of Oroenpaz city are the exact intersection of cool and awesome to make this happen. My Fourth-Cousin-Twice-Removed and I are planning a Punk Rock Shabbat and I am already 1000% on board to record a fantastic version of  “Lecha Dodi” to the tune of “London Calling” by the Clash. Coming soon to a YouTube channel near you, hopefully.

Saturday was unremarkable day because we literally did nothing. It was so glorious. PartnerPenguin correctly intuited that I needed to get some exercise before the day was out so we went to the market. Mum calls markets like these “Dunno Stores” because she has had the experience of asking an employee “what’s this?” they respond “Dunno!” So we went to a DunnoStore and explored 750 varieties of soy sauce, 60 types of kimchi, and an isle of noodles.  I tried partially dehydrated and frozen persimmons. Delish.

One thing I did this weekend was melt down my crystalized honey and put it in a smaller jar. I just needed to share that because it is so beautiful when the sun shines through it:



It’s been really really cold in the Key Route City these past couple weeks. I had hoped that being from somewhere that has Winters I would be ok with the cold every now and then. Nope. Nope. Nopity nope. Can’t deal. Reason 1: I don’t own anything Winter Worthy. All of my clothes are (generously) fashionably targeted for a mild chill on the cold end and a balmy sundress at the other end. Reason 2: My circulation sucks and my extremities have been known to suck the homeostatis-life-force out of those I love by wiggling my toes under their bottom. PartnerPenguin hypothesizes that my heart must be on fire because my nose is so cold. Reason 3: Structures here are not built for cold. They do not have insulation. They do not have double-paned windows. There are not end-caps at Home Depot of that special saran wrap for windows and families do not have a designated hair dryer for shrinking it.

I’m over Pseudowinter and I’m glad that the Solstice has passed. Winter Solstice is one of my happiest days of the year because it means that the sun is going to start winning again and we can get back to business being happy. I had a really good Solstice this year and appreciated being surrounded by folks who are friendly and care. I made applesauce, which is labor intensive but simple to make. It helps me eat apples because I don’t really like apples. 0_o. I guess I don’t like the middle of the road apples or Red Delicious. Or any apples that are mealy. It’s really hit or miss. But applesauce. That’s where it’s at.

Probably the biggest thing that happened this week was I actually found job I’m properly qualified for and I applied the hell out of that job. The pros: It’s a job! Yay! Pays moneys, good benefits, and decent (from what I can tell) co-workers. It would be a good path to getting a PG license; which is a stick I’d be happier to wield at this point than a PhD. The con: 80% fieldwork with 50% overnight travel. I see the con as an opportunity to invest in some great new gear (it’s a job so it will pay moneys!) and get to explore more of the wonderful land of this country. We’ll deal with how to get through the PTSD about large North American mammals when we get there.

I also talked for a long time with some publishing companies at the tail end of the conference last week. At least one of the dudes thinks my skillset is super transferable and would have been interested in hiring me if I lived closer or was willing to relocate. That gives me hope.

I finally went through my LinkedIn account and made it more accurately reflect myself professionally. There is a category to include GPA and I poked back to find my GPA from Big American University was 3.60. I started listing the awards I won, the funding I secured. I started listing my volunteer activities that have been prolific and varied in the past…since the start of high school. Trying to sell myself more accurately. Trying to make myself more available, more present and more whole as a person. This process has been so slow that it has been painful to literally everyone around me so the more I deal with it, the less agony all around.

Breakthrough work

Sparkles and I had another session and we built a beautiful shared analogy. She asked me what I thought of when she said the word “Closed.” After a bit of exploring, I came to the mental image of a restaurant. A little mom and pop joint (probably Italian) like the places my family would sometimes go to on Fridays and I would eat ravioli for comparison. I imagined this place closed, with the chairs on the tables, the floors mopped, the tablecloths fresh, kitchen quiet. It felt safe. It felt so nice that there were no messes. She asked me how I could know whether the place was prospering or barely scraping by. Would it open the next day?

She asked me then to put the chairs down on the floor. What else did the tables need? Flowers, I said. The plastic kind. And compostable, yet disposable tablecloths so messes could be cleaned up. She asked me could I delegate any of the work for keeping messes under control to someone, like a busser. I said yes, of course.

We talked about what hours my restaurant would be open. 5-10pm. Would I have a day off? Saturday. Even though that’s bad business but this is a metaphor restaurant so I took the day per week I’d like off. Could I commit to having “Open” hours and know that they would be constrained? Could I hire people and we come to a mutual agreement about what  I expected them to do, yet let them actually do the thing? I said that I wanted everyone in the restaurant to be allowed to offer a dish for the “special” of the evening. This way everyone felt included.

Sparkles talked me through opening my metaphorical restaurant. She asked me how I felt, I said “disbelief.” I didn’t think anyone would be there but there were already customers. How long would it be until I believed that this would be ok? Two months. Two months would be long enough to establish regular regulars and occasional regulars. That, combined with seasonal, I would probably be ok.

I was so surprised in doing this exercise at how sad I felt. I just cried for a while, even though things were positive. I cried because the safety of being closed and clean isn’t how I can move forward any more. I cried because I know how to delegate tasks but I don’t know how to delegate parts of my day so that I can be the best me there is. I cried because there were bits of college where I thought I’d figured it out and really I was just killing myself bit by bit to graduate with honors: only to never credit myself for the work. I cried because of how scared I am to change and how little faith I have that if I change, others will stay with me.

To lighten the mood, I will close out with two songs that are upbeat in different ways. The first is called “Seagulls” which is a Bad Lip Reading of Empire Strikes Back. Yoda’s little dancing has been making my life this week. 




The other was introduced to me by Raptor. It’s an a capella mash up of Carol of the Bells and The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Can’t say I didn’t spread some holiday cheer! 


No comments:

Post a Comment